How Grace House Supports Families
At Grace House we aim to offer a range of specialist services to support not just children and young people who have complex disabilities, health needs and life limiting conditions, but their whole family.
Our main service is short breaks which we run in partnership with Sunderland Care and Support. Short breaks provide
- A home from home where children and young people can come and stay overnight regularly, and enjoy the exciting activities, opportunities and experiences that some disabled children can miss out on
- A chance for family members to have a rest and recharge their batteries
We also work with Sunderland Portage Service and nurses from the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit to provide play, learning and support groups for families with children under age 5 who have complex disabilities, health needs and life limiting conditions.
In 2016 Grace House also plan to develop additional services for families with disabled children including
- alternative and complementary therapies for carers
- information and training
- support groups
How we are funded
We fund our services through
- the generous donations and fundraising efforts of our many hundreds of supporters
- grants from charitable trusts
The short break service is funded through a per bed per night fee charged to the Local Authority and/or NHS. This is then enhanced through charitable fundraising which enables us to provide all the extras such as an adapted minibus, additional therapies, and an exciting programme of activities for children and young people.
Our aim is to be a Regional Centre of Excellence. To do this, we will provide
- the most desirable accommodation
- the best equipment
- state of the art facilities
- the best staff training
- an ambitious programme of play and leisure activities that all children and young people want to do.
This vision is only possible through the generosity of grant making trusts, and the supporters of Grace House, who tirelessly raise funds throughout the year, to ensure that we can offer the very best in specialist support for severely disabled children.
More in this section:Our vision
Meet the team
Local business gives disabled children exciting outdoor cooking experience at Grace House North East
11 July 2016
A Sunderland charity that provides care to children from all over the North East with complex disabilities, health needs and life limiting conditions has received support this week from staff at Simon Berry Optometrist in Durham.read more
Tweets by @GraceHouse10